Medical assistants (MA) are essential healthcare professionals who play a crucial role in the smooth functioning of healthcare facilities. They are responsible for a wide range of administrative and clinical tasks that keep healthcare practices running smoothly. If you are considering a career in healthcare, becoming a medical assistant can be an excellent choice. In this blog post, we will explore what a medical assistant is, and why you should consider becoming one.
What is a Medical Assistant?
A medical assistant is a healthcare professional who is responsible for performing administrative and clinical tasks to support the daily operations of healthcare facilities such as hospitals, clinics, and physicians’ offices. They work alongside physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to ensure that patients receive quality care. Some of the tasks that medical assistants perform include:
- Administrative duties: Scheduling appointments, maintaining patient records, answering phones, and managing billing and insurance.
- Clinical duties: Taking patient histories, recording vital signs, performing diagnostic tests, and administering medication.
- Communication: They act as a liaison between patients and healthcare professionals, ensuring that patients are well-informed about their care and that their concerns are addressed.
Why Become a Medical Assistant?
There are many reasons why becoming a medical assistant can be a rewarding career choice. Here are just a few:
- Job Growth: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the employment of MA’s is expected to grow by 16 percent from 2021 to 2031, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to an aging population that requires more medical services, and an increase in the number of outpatient care facilities.
- Flexibility: Medical assistants can work in a variety of healthcare settings, including hospitals, clinics, and private practices. They can also work in different specialties, such as cardiology, dermatology, and pediatrics, among others.
- Fulfilling work: Medical assistants are an essential part of a healthcare team, and they play a vital role in helping patients receive the care they need. They work directly with patients, which can be very fulfilling, and they are often the first point of contact for patients who are seeking medical care.
- Short training programs: Becoming a medical assistant does not require a lengthy training program. Many programs can be completed in less than a year, which means you can start your career in healthcare quickly.
- Pay and Benefits: The bureau of labor and statistics says the average salary for a medical assistant is just over 33k annually. However, this is another job I would do some local research on before I start or don’t start the program because in Washington state the average salary for a MA is just over 55k.
Becoming a MA can be an excellent career choice if you are looking for a fulfilling and rewarding career in healthcare. The demand for medical assistants is growing, and the training programs are relatively short, making it a great option for those looking to start their healthcare career quickly.
Not interested in working in the medical field? Here are 5 of the best paying jobs in the tech industry for you to consider.