Surgical technicians, also known as operating room technicians, are healthcare professionals who play a vital role in the surgical team. They work alongside surgeons, anesthesiologists, and nurses to ensure that surgical procedures are safe, efficient, and successful. In this blog post, we will discuss what a surgical technician is and why you might want to consider becoming one.
What is a Surgery Technician?
A surgical technician is a trained healthcare professional who assists in surgical procedures. They are responsible for preparing the operating room, ensuring that all necessary equipment and supplies are available, and providing support to the surgical team during the procedure. They may also be responsible for preparing patients for surgery, transporting them to and from the operating room, and monitoring their vital signs during the procedure.
The primary responsibilities of a Surgical Technician include:
- Preparing the operating room: Surgical technicians are responsible for ensuring that the operating room is clean, sterile, and equipped with all the necessary equipment and supplies. They prepare the surgical instruments and equipment, and ensure that they are in good working condition.
- Assisting during surgery: During surgery, surgical techs provide support to the surgical team by passing instruments, sutures, and other necessary items to the surgeon. They also assist with positioning the patient and ensuring that their vital signs are monitored throughout the procedure.
- Post-operative care: After the surgery is complete, surgical technicians help to clean and sterilize the operating room and equipment. They may also assist with post-operative care, such as changing dressings or helping patients to move around.
Why Become a Surgery Technician?
High demand for skilled technicians: The demand for surgical techs is expected to grow in the coming years, as the population continues to age and require more surgical procedures.
- Competitive salary: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for surgical technicians was $48,510 in 2021. This is higher than the median salary for many other healthcare professions. Again you want to make sure you check your local pay scale because in states like Washington Surgery Technicians average salary is around $126,000
- Job stability: Healthcare is an essential industry, and surgical technicians are an integral part of the healthcare team. This means that the job outlook for surgical technicians is generally stable and secure.
- Opportunity for advancement: With additional education and training, surgical techs can advance in their careers and become surgical technologists, surgical assistants, or even surgical nurses.
- Ability to make a difference: Surgical techs play a critical role in ensuring that surgical procedures are safe and successful. By becoming a surgical technician, you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of patients and their families.
In conclusion, surgical techs play a vital role in the healthcare industry. They are responsible for ensuring that surgical procedures are safe and efficient, and they provide valuable support to the surgical team. If you are interested in a career in healthcare and want to make a difference in the lives of patients, becoming a surgical tech may be an excellent choice for you.
Being in the surgery room sound a bit too intense? I can’t say I blame maybe becoming a Dental Hygienist is more up your alley learn more here!